Breaking up with Folly
- Change is hard (v. 26:11)
- Christ will help (v. 13:12)
- What stuck out to you from Pastor Dave’s message?
- Have you ever tried to change something in your life only to fail and go back to the way things were (Proverbs 26:11)? What went wrong, why did you fail?
- The Bible gives us the best picture of the complexity and difficulty of change – change isn’t easy, it’s complex. Have you ever had a crushed spirit and didn’t have the energy to face the day (Proverbs 18:14)? Have you ever wanted to change only to find out your physical body worked against you (Proverbs 14:30)? Have you ever tried to change but didn’t have anyone to cheer you up and cheer you on (Proverbs 12:25)? If we need to change and want to change, why don’t we? (John:8:36)
- Change is possible only if someone meets us in each of these areas and empowers us. How was the crushing of Christ (Isaiah 53:5) just what we needed to help our crushed spirits (Hebrews 4:15)? Why was His flogging, scourging, hunger, and weariness just what we needed to strengthen us (Matthew 11:28-30)? How was His emotional and relational loneliness (Matthew 27:46) just what we needed to change (Hebrews 13:15)?
- If Jesus changes everything, are you willing to meet Him in your brokenness and let Him grow and change you? What keeps you from asking Him for Help? What would it look like to ask Him for help today?
Proverbs 13:12; 26:11
Hope deferred makes the heart sick,
But desire fulfilled is a tree of life.
11Like a dog that returns to its vomit
Is a fool who repeats his folly.