Confessions of a Recovering FoolTRANSCRIPTION OF THIS SERMON
- Problems with Proverbs (v. 3:13)
- Point of Proverbs (v. 3:14-22)
- Proverbs 3:13 encourages us to get wisdom. In what area of your life are you most lacking wisdom? What areas of your life aren’t going well and need work? What does the Bible tell us to do if we lack wisdom (James 1:5)? What would it look like to stop now and ask Him for the wisdom you need?
- Proverbs says that wisdom begins with fearing the Lord. What does it mean to fear the Lord? Do you fear the Lord? How does fearing Him lead to the knowledge of His perfect love for you which then drives out all fear (1 John 4:18)?
- How is wisdom different from morality or just being a good person? When Solomon asked for wisdom did he already have the law (1 Kings 3:1-13)? Do you know of any moral people who have ruined their life by foolishness? What does Proverbs 3:14-18 say that wisdom will give to us?
- Proverbs 3:19-22 tells us God built the universe with wisdom. Gaining wisdom therefore will give us an understanding of the pattern and order of how things really are and really work physically, relationally, financially, and communally. Where is your life most in need of Jesus, the wisdom of God? What would it look like to ask Him for help and wisdom today?
13How blessed is the man who finds wisdom
And the man who gains understanding.
14For her profit is better than the profit of silver
And her gain better than fine gold.
15She is more precious than jewels;
And nothing you desire compares with her.
16Long life is in her right hand;
In her left hand are riches and honor.
17Her ways are pleasant ways
And all her paths are peace.
18She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her,
And happy are all who hold her fast.
19The Lord by wisdom founded the earth,
By understanding He established the heavens.
20By His knowledge the deeps were broken up
And the skies drip with dew.
21My son, let them not vanish from your sight;
Keep sound wisdom and discretion,
22So they will be life to your soul
And adornment to your neck.