How to ruin your life in 3 easy stepsTRANSCRIPT OF THIS SERMON
- Ignore God (v. 12:15 ;14:12; 21:2)
- Ignore Heart (v. 4:23)
- Ignore Others (v. 18:1-2)
- If we treat God like a consultant rather than our creator it is easy to ignore Him. Where do you tend to ignore God and function in your own wisdom? Where have you become wise in your own eyes and live life on your own terms? What would it look like to humbly repent and invite Him in rather than ignoring Him? (Proverbs 12:15)
- God has given us an internal warning system to let us know when something is wrong under the hood. He has given us feelings and emotions to notify us when something is going on inside so that we might stop, listen and grow. In what ways do you ignore, numb, and distract yourself from what is going on in your heart? What would it look like to delight yourself in the Lord rather than distracting yourself from the difficulties in life? What would it look like to stop now and ask Him for help? (Proverbs 14:23)
- We were created by God, for God, to live life with God. If we choose to ignore God, our lives will run on empty and we will feed on others rather than serving and feeding others. Haughty eyes, envy, greed, gossip, and lust are simply pictures of the ways we feed on others rather than serving and caring for them. Where have you forgotten the Gospel and therefore fed on others? What would it look like to feed on Jesus and care for others?
Proverbs 4:23; 12:15; 14:12; 18:1-2; 21:2
23Watch over your heart with all diligence,
For from it flow the springs of life.
15The way of a fool is right in his own eyes,
But a wise man is he who listens to counsel.
12There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death.
1He who separates himself seeks his own desire,
He quarrels against all sound wisdom.
2A fool does not delight in understanding,
But only in revealing his own mind.
2Every man’s way is right in his own eyes,
But the Lord weighs the hearts.