HE PROMISED PEACE
1 Peter 5:6-14 NASB
6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, 7 casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. 8 Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9 But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world. 10 After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you. 11 To Him be dominion forever and ever. Amen.
12 Through Silvanus, our faithful brother (for so I regard him), I have written to you briefly, exhorting and testifying that this is the true grace of God. Stand firm in it!13 She who is in Babylon, chosen together with you, sends you greetings, and so does my son, Mark. 14 Greet one another with a kiss of love.
Peace be to you all who are in Christ.
Prescription for Peace
- v6 Humility
- v7 Casting
- v8-9 Resisting
- v9 Knowing
- v10-14 Trusting
- How do you define peace? What messes with your peace the most? Where does the Bible say that peace is to be found? (Eph 2:14)
- Why is the pursuit of peace in circumstances sure to leave you frustrated?
- What convicted you most from 1 Peter 5:6-14? What comforted you? What did He call you to repent of and change?
- How does pride lead you to hang onto your anxieties and worries? What has it looked like for you to cast these on Him?
- Why is suffering not an elective course for Christians?