Mark 10:32-45 NASB
32 They were on the road going up to Jerusalem, and Jesus was walking on ahead of them; and they were amazed, and those who followed were fearful. And again He took the twelve aside and began to tell them what was going to happen to Him, 33 saying, “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be delivered to the chief priests and the scribes; and they will condemn Him to death and will hand Him over to the Gentiles. 34 They will mock Him and spit on Him, and scourge Him and kill Him, and three days later He will rise again.”
35 James and John, the two sons of Zebedee, came up to Jesus, saying, “Teacher, we want You to do for us whatever we ask of You.” 36 And He said to them, “What do you want Me to do for you?” 37 They said to Him, “Grant that we may sit, one on Your right and one on Your left, in Your glory.” 38 But Jesus said to them, “You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or to be baptized with the baptism with which I am baptized?” 39 They said to Him, “We are able.” And Jesus said to them, “The cup that I drink you shall drink; and you shall be baptized with the baptism with which I am baptized. 40 But to sit on My right or on My left, this is not Mine to give; but it is for those for whom it has been prepared.”
41 Hearing this, the ten began to feel indignant with James and John. 42 Calling them to Himself, Jesus said to them, “You know that those who are recognized as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them; and their great men exercise authority over them. 43 But it is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant; 44 and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be slave of all. 45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”
- What do you see in Jesus? – Mark 10:32-34
- What do you ask of Jesus? – Mark 10:35-40
- What do you have from Jesus? – Mark 10:41-45
- (10:32-34) There were people (10:32) following Jesus who were amazed and others who were fearful. How do you view Jesus? How does your view of Jesus impact how you approach Him? How has your view of Jesus changed over the time that you have been following Him? What difference had that made in your relationship with Him and with others around you?
- (10:35-40) How do you know what you truly deeply want, desire and worship? Who helps you see and discover that? What do you hope Jesus will do, fix, change in your life? How do we respond when He doesn’t meet our expectations or demands? In what ways has unmet expectations of Jesus in your spiritual journey changed you?
- (10:41-45) What does the disciples’ anger with James and John reveal about what they valued? How does Jesus’ response to the 12 disciples aim to change their thinking? How do you view your work, spouse and family? Why does serving like Jesus’ example (10:45) feel so completely unnatural to us? How does that change to serve like Jesus happen in your life? Who is in your life to help you see that change? Who can you affirm and encourage this week who inspires you to serve like Jesus?