JESUS GIVES SIGHT
Mark 10:46-52 NASB
46 Then they came to Jericho. And as He was leaving Jericho with His disciples and a large crowd, a blind beggar named Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, was sitting by the road. 47 When he heard that it was Jesus the Nazarene, he began to cry out and say, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” 48 Many were sternly telling him to be quiet, but he kept crying out all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” 49 And Jesus stopped and said, “Call him here.” So they called the blind man, saying to him, “Take courage, stand up! He is calling for you.”50 Throwing aside his cloak, he jumped up and came to Jesus. 51 And answering him, Jesus said, “What do you want Me to do for you?” And the blind man said to Him, “Rabboni, I want to regain my sight!” 52 And Jesus said to him, “Go; your faith has made you well.” Immediately he regained his sight and began following Him on the road.
- Jesus, The Son of David – Mark 10:46-48
- Jesus, The One who Calls – Mark 10:49-50
- Jesus, The One who Heals – Mark 10:51-52
- (Jesus, The Son of David – Mark 10:46-48) What does the persistence of Bartimaeus show you? Who do you see in our culture and society today as the outsiders? How have you experienced a mob mentality like the crowds trying to hush Bartimaeus? How did you react? In what ways can you connect with Bartimaeus’ cry for mercy? Describe how Jesus has given you mercy. How is that changing you today?
- (Jesus, The One who Calls – Mark 10:49-50) What does it show you about Jesus’ character that He stopped? How have you encountered or experienced that in your walk with Him? In what ways has Jesus called you? How do you discern His call? The crowd mentality towards Bartimaeus has changed in verse 49, and they proceed to help Bartimaeus come to Jesus, who are you or have you helped answer the call of Jesus? How has that impacted your faith journey?
- (Jesus, The One who Heals – Mark 10:51-52) What does Jesus’ question that He asks Bartimaeus directly (v. 51) reveal about our King? Who do you have in your life to help you to see the areas that you might be blind (not fully understanding how you’re impacting others)? How have your eyes been more and more opened as you continue to follow Jesus? Why does Bartimaeus follow Jesus? How does his following Jesus compare to why you are following Him?