King Jesus Teaches
Mark 9:38-50 NASB
38 John said to Him, “Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in Your name, and we tried to prevent him because he was not following us.” 39 But Jesus said, “Do not hinder him, for there is no one who will perform a miracle in My name, and be able soon afterward to speak evil of Me. 40 For he who is not against us is for us. 41 For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because of your name as followers of Christ, truly I say to you, he will not lose his reward.
42 “Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe to stumble, it would be better for him if, with a heavy millstone hung around his neck, he had been cast into the sea. 43 If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire, 44 [where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.]45 If your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life lame, than, having your two feet, to be cast into hell, 46 [where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.] 47 If your eye causes you to stumble, throw it out; it is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, than, having two eyes, to be cast into hell, 48 where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.
49 “For everyone will be salted with fire. 50 Salt is good; but if the salt becomes unsalty, with what will you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another.”
- Unity 9:38-41
- Love 9:42-48
- Peace 9:49-50
- Where does insecurity show up most in your life? What is your common response to insecurity?
- Where do you tend to seek to find to security? What does Jesus’ response to John teach us about tearing others down (v38-31)? How does tearing others down impact your heart? Where does that desire to tear others down come from in you?
- Why does insecurity lead us to step on others instead of serving others? Why do we believe success will give security (v9:42)?
- Why does insecurity lead us to cover sin instead of confessing sin? Why do we project strength when we know we are but a vapor (v9:43-48)? Why is sin such a serious thing? If sin is a big deal: What sin (s) in your life do you sense the Lord wants you to confess to your community group? (1 John 1:5-10)
- What is your response to others when you’re insecure or suffering through a trial (v9:49-50)? In what ways have you been a recipient of peace-making? In what ways have you initiated peace-making? Is there anyone in your life with whom the Lord is prompting you to initiate peace-making? How will you follow through on that?