A HUMBLE KING
Mark 11:1-11 NASB
1 As they approached Jerusalem, at Bethphage and Bethany, near the Mount of Olives, He sent two of His disciples, 2 and said to them, “Go into the village opposite you, and immediately as you enter it, you will find a colt tied there, on which no one yet has ever sat; untie it and bring it here. 3 If anyone says to you, ‘Why are you doing this?’ you say, ‘The Lord has need of it’; and immediately he will send it back here.” 4 They went away and found a colt tied at the door, outside in the street; and they untied it. 5 Some of the bystanders were saying to them, “What are you doing, untying the colt?” 6 They spoke to them just as Jesus had told them, and they gave them permission. 7 They brought the colt to Jesus and put their coats on it; and He sat on it. 8 And many spread their coats in the road, and others spread leafy branches which they had cut from the fields. 9 Those who went in front and those who followed were shouting:
Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord;
10 Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David;
Hosanna in the highest!”
11 Jesus entered Jerusalem and came into the temple; and after looking around at everything, He left for Bethany with the twelve, since it was already late.
- Following Jesus 11:1-3
- Obeying Jesus 11:4-6
- Worshipping Jesus 11:7-10
- Waiting on Jesus 11:11
- (11:1-3 Following Jesus) Jesus came as a humble King. He has called us to humble ourselves and follow Him. Where does pride show itself in your life? What does repentance look like for you? Are there areas of your life that you are more prone to pride? Why do think that humility is so unnatural?
- (11:4-6 Obeying Jesus) Sometimes following Jesus can be confusing. Has there been a time when Jesus has asked you to do something that seemed confusing at the time? How did you respond? Who helped you navigate those times? Who in your life do you see obeying Jesus, and what does that obedience look like?
- (11:7-10 Worshipping Jesus) Obeying Jesus can be difficult in the humility it requires. What are some of the things He has asked of you which do not make sense in the moment? How do you understand worshipping Jesus today? Describe the times in your lie that it is easiest and hardest to worship Him?
- ( 11:11 Waiting on Jesus) How has waiting on Jesus impacted your life? Describe the seasons of waiting and how it has formed and shaped you. How does waiting on Jesus collide with a culture that hates to be inconvenienced in any way? How do you interact with that divide?