SCRIPTURE REFERENCES AND GRAPHS
John 17:13-21 NASB
13 But now I come to You; and these things I speak in the world so that they may have My joy made full in themselves. 14 I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 15 I do not ask You to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.17 Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth. 18 As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. 19 For their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they themselves also may be sanctified in truth.
20 “I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; 21 that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me.
- Express Joy 17:13
- Endure Hatred 17:14-16
- Expose Sin 17:17-19
- Explain God 17:20-21
- In “the Church” series, we look at where the church came from, why she is here and what she is to be about. Do you see the church as something you do or something you are? What difference does it make?
- Have you experienced the church expressing joy together? Why is joy so powerful? What keeps you from expressing joy? 17:13
- Why does Jesus say the world will hate the church? Why is the church such a gift in enduring hatred together? 17:14-16
- Do you have blind spots? Where do blind spots come from? How is God’s word and the church a blessing in exposing blind spots and sin? 17:17-19
- In a world that can’t get along, how is the church going to explain God? What keeps you from experiencing that kind of community? 17:20-21