PREPARING TO REACH PREPARED HEARTS
- Prompting the Preacher (Acts 8:26-29)
- Listening for His Leading (Acts 8:30-37)
- Prepared by God to Hear (Acts 8:34-35)
- Ready to Receive Jesus (Acts 8:36)
- What stuck out from Pastor Roderick’s message?
- How does Jesus’ grace interact with my hidden perspective of others who are not like me?
- Pastor Roderick stated, “Christianity is not an activity, but an identity.” How does my life reflect or contradict that statement?
- Rationalism isn’t Lord, Jesus is! How have I rationalized away obedience to the Holy Spirit’s leading?
- “Faith that’s real is always birthing fruit.” What fruit is Jesus growing in people around me?
- Are there people that I have a natural affection for? E.g., am I partial to the culture or ethnicity that I come from? Are there people that I have an aversion to (Number 12:1-16)? What happens when there is an opportunity to have a conversation with people from each of these two groups? Will I initiate or do I have to be prodded by the Spirit to interact with people that I do not have a natural affection for?
- Where do I get information about other ethnicities and cultures? Do I learn about other races from the source or through other groups I assume give it to me straight?
- What happens when Jesus directs me to go to places I do not like (Acts 8:27, 30)?
- What happens when Jesus is leading me to witnessing opportunities with people for whom I have no natural affection?
26But an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip saying, “Get up and go south to the road that descends from Jerusalem to Gaza.” (This is a desert road.) 27So he got up and went; and there was an Ethiopian eunuch, a court official of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, who was in charge of all her treasure; and he had come to Jerusalem to worship, 28and he was returning and sitting in his chariot, and was reading the prophet Isaiah. 29Then the Spirit said to Philip, “Go up and join this chariot.” 30Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?” 31And he said, “Well, how could I, unless someone guides me?” And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. 32Now the passage of Scripture which he was reading was this:
“He was led as a sheep to slaughter;
And as a lamb before its shearer is silent,
So He does not open His mouth.
33In humiliation His judgment was taken away;
Who will relate His generation?
For His life is removed from the earth.”
34The eunuch answered Philip and said, “Please tell me, of whom does the prophet say this? Of himself or of someone else?” 35Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him. 36As they went along the road they came to some water; and the eunuch *said, “Look! Water! What prevents me from being baptized?” 37[And Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”] 38And he ordered the chariot to stop; and they both went down into the water, Philip as well as the eunuch, and he baptized him.