The Gospel to Gentiles
- Perseverance (v. 13:44-45)
- Patience (v. 13:46-47)
- Humility (v. 13:48)
- Joy (v. 13:49-52)
- What stood out to you from Pastor Dave’s message?
- The Bible is very upfront about the fact that life is difficult. How do you respond to rejection? Why is perseverance/endurance so necessary for the disciple of Christ? What is an area of your life where you’ve given up that Jesus wants to help you up and grow you up? (James 1:2-4; Romans 5:3-5; Acts 13:44-45)
- Paul is patient in affliction, he interprets rejection as redirection. Some people aren’t open to the Gospel. What does it look like to be patient with those who reject it? How has God been patient with you? (Colossians 3:13-15; Acts 13:46-47)
- Humility and joy grow in us when we realize that we deserve judgement and have been given justification instead. What has God given you that you are no longer grateful for? Why aren’t you grateful? What would repentance and rejoicing look like for you today? (1Thessalonians 5:16-18; Acts 13: 48-52)
44The next Sabbath nearly the whole city assembled to hear the word of the Lord. 45But when the Jews saw the crowds, they were filled with jealousy and began contradicting the things spoken by Paul, and were blaspheming. 46Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly and said, “It was necessary that the word of God be spoken to you first; since you repudiate it and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles. 47For so the Lord has commanded us,
‘I have placed You as a light for the Gentiles,
That You may bring salvation to the end of the earth.’ ”
48When the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord; and as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed. 49And the word of the Lord was being spread through the whole region. 50But the Jews incited the devout women of prominence and the leading men of the city, and instigated a persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and drove them out of their district. 51But they shook off the dust of their feet in protest against them and went to Iconium. 52And the disciples were continually filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.