Jesus on Trial
1Early in the morning the chief priests with the elders and scribes and the whole Council, immediately held a consultation; and binding Jesus, they led Him away and delivered Him to Pilate. 2Pilate questioned Him, “Are You the King of the Jews?” And He answered him, “It is as you say.” 3The chief priests began to accuse Him harshly. 4Then Pilate questioned Him again, saying, “Do You not answer? See how many charges they bring against You!” 5But Jesus made no further answer; so Pilate was amazed.
6Now at the feast he used to release for them any one prisoner whom they requested. 7The man named Barabbas had been imprisoned with the insurrectionists who had committed murder in the insurrection. 8The crowd went up and began asking him to doas he had been accustomed to do for them. 9Pilate answered them, saying, “Do you want me to release for you the King of the Jews?” 10For he was aware that the chief priests had handed Him over because of envy. 11But the chief priests stirred up the crowd to ask him to release Barabbas for them instead. 12Answering again, Pilate said to them, “Then what shall I do with Him whom you call the King of the Jews?” 13They shouted back, “Crucify Him!” 14But Pilate said to them, “Why, what evil has He done?” But they shouted all the more, “Crucify Him!” 15Wishing to satisfy the crowd, Pilate released Barabbas for them, and after having Jesus scourged, he handed Him over to be crucified.
- Wolves 15:1-3
- Weasels 15:4-5
- Wildebeests 15:6-15
- Jesus is changing everything. Why is change so hard for us? Where have you tried to change something and failed? When have you created a false reality and demanded others change according to your reality?
- When the chief priests were confronted with truth, they ATTACKED. Where have you found defensiveness in your heart and a willingness to attack? What does defensiveness point to or come from?
- When Pilate was confronted with truth, he AVOIDED. What are ways you seek to avoid or dodge truth?
- When the crowd was confronted with truth, they AMASSED AGAINST. Where have you found approval and safety in numbers? When was a time you did something you knew was wrong because everyone else was doing it?
- Changes happen when we are EXPOSED to truth, EMBRACE truth, and EXECUTE on truth. Where is Jesus wanting to change you?