A LOOK AT FOOLS
Ecclesiastes 10:1-20 NASB
10 Dead flies make a perfumer’s oil stink, so a little foolishness is weightier than wisdom and honor. 2 A wise man’s heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish man’s heart directs him toward the left. 3 Even when the fool walks along the road, his sense is lacking and he demonstrates to everyone that he is a fool.4 If the ruler’s temper rises against you, do not abandon your position, because composure allays great offenses.
5 There is an evil I have seen under the sun, like an error which goes forth from the ruler— 6 folly is set in many exalted places while rich men sit in humble places. 7 I have seen slaves riding on horses and princes walking like slaves on the land.
8 He who digs a pit may fall into it, and a serpent may bite him who breaks through a wall. 9 He who quarries stones may be hurt by them, and he who splits logs may be endangered by them. 10 If the axe is dull and he does not sharpen its edge, then he must exert more strength. Wisdom has the advantage of giving success.11 If the serpent bites before being charmed, there is no profit for the charmer.12 Words from the mouth of a wise man are gracious, while the lips of a fool consume him; 13 the beginning of his talking is folly and the end of it is wicked madness. 14 Yet the fool multiplies words. No man knows what will happen, and who can tell him what will come after him? 15 The toil of a fool so wearies him that he does not even know how to go to a city. 16 Woe to you, O land, whose king is a lad and whose princes feast in the morning. 17 Blessed are you, O land, whose king is of nobility and whose princes eat at the appropriate time—for strength and not for drunkenness. 18 Through indolence the rafters sag, and through slackness the house leaks. 19 Men prepare a meal for enjoyment, and wine makes life merry, and money is the answer to everything. 20 Furthermore, in your bedchamber do not curse a king, and in your sleeping rooms do not curse a rich man, for a bird of the heavens will carry the sound and the winged creature will make the matter known.
- A Dozen Ways to make life more difficult 10:1-20
- Flies Are Gross 10:1
- Co Q-10 10:2
- Interventions Are Awkward 10:3
- How Kenny Rogers Helped 10:4
- Michael Scott Is Real 10:5-7
- CDC #3 10:8-10
- How Snake Charmers Help 10:11
- Loud Cars Are Annoying 10:12-14
- What Drains My iPhone Battery 10:15
- The Periodic Table of Elements 10:16-17
- Lion King 10:18-19
- Siri & Alexa 10:20
- Ecclesiastes gets very practical in Chapter 10. Life is difficult, but it can always get worse through foolish choices and decisions. When was a time you experienced life get more difficult through a foolish decision you made?
- Which one of the dozen points stuck out the most to you?
- For most of us our problems don’t come from a lack of information but application and integration of what we already know. What areas of your life have you been a hearer of the Word and not a doer?